Home / Lessons / Arts & Crafts / Activities & Games / Teacher Corner / Resources / Great Links
Iron Rule / Silver Rule / Golden Rule
"Do to others before they do it to me."
"Do to others as they do it to me."
"Do to others as I would like them do
The Golden Rule
To Remember: We should treat others as we want to be treated by them.
Verse from the bible:
Matthew 7:12 Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.
God has always given His people guidance on how they should treat one another. We tend to be selfish, unless trained otherwise. But God wants us to be considerate of others. He said that we should treat others they way we would like to be treated. How do you like to be treated? With respect, listened to, not interrupted, loved, share things with, treated fairly, honest with, follow through on promises. If we like these things from others, it is only natural that others would like us to treat them the same.
Display and discuss the iron rule, silver rule, golden
Define on a
chart: Iron Rule: "Do to
others before they do it to me." Silver Rule: "Do to
others as they do it to me." Golden Rule: "Do to
others as I would like them do to
Define on a chart:
Iron Rule: "Do to others before they do it to me."
Silver Rule: "Do to others as they do it to me."
Golden Rule: "Do to others as I would like them do to me."
John 13:34,35 A new commandment I give unto you, That you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this shall all men know that you are my disciples, if you have love one another.
True or False:
1. God didn't always want people to love each other. F
2. We don't know how others want to be treated. F
3. Jesus cared for others more than himself. T
4. People around us can tell if we love one another. T
5. It is easy to be unselfish. F
6. The silver rule says: love those that love you. T
7. Loving others makes us like God. T
Discussion: Have students choose the "rule" applied in each of the examples (iron, silver, gold)
Printable Worksheet: Unscramble
a verse about the golden rule
Review Questions for gameboard
1. Summarize the "golden rule". Treat others as you want them to treat you
2. Unscramble the word: veol (love)
3. Name the book where this lesson is taught. (Matthew, John)
1. Act out someone who is not putting others first.
2. Draw a heart with your eyes shut.
3. Name something you will do this week for someone you don't like.
1. How do you feel when others let you pick first? ( Special, happy )
2. How do you feel when other people won't share with you? ( Unhappy, disliked )
3. How does God feel when we treat each other nice? ( Happy, pleased )
1. How should I treat those who don't like me? ( Tthe same as my friends )
2. In what ways has God treated you better than you deserve? ( He always provides for us, he blesses us with more than we need, he give us always a way for Salvation)
3. In what ways can you treat others "like yourself"? ( Share the best of what I have, let them go first, treat them politely and kindly, help when needed )
1. Who treats us better than anyone else? God
2. Jesus was the one who initiated the Golden Rule? Yes
3. Who should we show kindness to? Everyone
1. Why should we treat others well?
1) to be like God, 2) to show we are his children, 3) because we were treated well by God, 4) it is God's law
2. How do we determine how to treat others?
We do what we'd like done to us
3. What example can we look to when we are uncertain how to act?
Play our S.S.L. board game to review that lesson